Wednesday, March 27, 2013

theme week 10

Billions of people in the world, thousands of big, metropolitan cities with monuments and markets and museums. And I live in Bangor Maine. To me, Bangor used to be huge, miles of roads and buildings, houses and hundreds of people, I was never a ‘small town girl’, but then I went to Florida, and Boston, and London and suddenly I was one. Suddenly Bangor became this small, out of the way town shoved way up into the corner of the United States. Not even a fraction of the world’s population lives here and our shopping mall is about the size of a big city’s super Wal-Mart. The traffic that always seemed never ending when I was a kid, stretching on forever in a never ending stream of cars and trucks, now seemed like a deserted street compared to the freeways of Boston. But even though I enjoyed Florida, and absolutely loved London, even if I move away to another city, Bangor Maine will always be the place I come home to.

1 comment:

  1. NIce to contrast this to the spring one--while that was unrelievedly skeptical about spring, this looks at Bangor with skepticism but also with a realistic and even sad sense that home is home and always will be, even without Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, and double decker buses!

    ReplyDelete