Wednesday, March 13, 2013

prompt 36

June 13th 2007, the day I had my driving test. I was in junior year of high school, it was the week before finals, and I got to miss the first 30 minutes of art class to take my driver’s test. My parents drove me down Union St., I familiar street I drive on every day. I was very nervous, but when I got started the instructor was very nice and chatted away, making me feel more relaxed. The parallel parking was the worst, I got two chances, the first time I completely screwed up, the second time I did it perfectly. Then we set out down Union St. I remember driving around for about 20 minutes, turning down smaller streets, but always returning to Union. The familiar buildings helped reassure me, the McDonalds I had been going to since I was a kid, the Hannaford’s we did all our grocery shopping, the gas stations, all places I passed on a regular basis and were comfortable with.  Then the instructor told me to go back to the DMV. I drove back down Union St. one final time and pulled into the parking lot, waiting while he checked things off on his clipboard, wondering if I passed.

1 comment:

  1. Nice ending! Exactly right.

    (And all the rest is good too with just the right mix of inside thoughts and outside sights.)

    ReplyDelete