Wednesday, March 6, 2013

prompt 32

The last person I want to remember before I die is my mother. She is the most caring person I know and I want to remeber that before I die, once she is long gone. When my grandmother started to get dementia my mother started to do whatever she could to make it easier on her. My mom and her siblings would take turns watching their mother, making sure she had food, and taking her to doctor’s appointments. As my grandmother got worse my mom started looking for a live in caretaker for her, interviewing people and taking care of all of the paperwork. Even after my grandmother moved in with my aunt, who is a certified nurse, my mother and her brother put her old house up for sale and figured out all the finances. And even though my grandmother is forgetting who her grandkids are and sometimes forgets who my mother is, my mom still goes to my aunt’s house to cook dinner and take care of my grandmother when my aunt needs a break.

1 comment:

  1. As I said in class, these two pieces do a variation on the theme of your mother's goodness--they each offer details, they each express feeling. They might even be combined in a single, large tribute to the woman.

    ReplyDelete