Monday, March 4, 2013

prompt 34

My grandmother Barbara. I remember going to your house with my sister and my cousins. Going into the carpeted, finished basement and digging out all the old toys you kept for us down there. Barbie dolls from the ‘70s or ‘80s, the ‘stilts’ we walked around on made of hard plastic yellow cups with blue cords we had to hold up to keep them on our feet. I remember you buying us cheap wicker baskets that you had us decorate for Easter and send us off parading down the street. You always had those vanilla sandwich cookies, that weren’t very sweet, because grandpa has diabetes, that you would give to me every time I came over. And when you started losing your memory to Alzheimer’s you told me the same story about you dad and his dogs, always named the same thing, and the big elaborate doghouse he built them in his back yard.

1 comment:

  1. All that stuff in the basement, all those memories--pure writer's gold, very nicely handled.

    ReplyDelete