Sunday, February 10, 2013

prompt 16

I love Doctor Who, the BBC sci-fi show that is turning 50 this year. Normally I'm not big on Sci-fi, but this show is one of the big exceptions. I have mostly only watched the new series that picked up again in 2005 as a continuation of the original series, but I plan on watching the original series as well. If you ask any fan of the show what it's about, you will probably just get more confused by their explanation. The show is very hard to describe and do it justice, and with 50 years of continuity it is very easy to get lost. The basic premiss of the show is easy enough to explain, an alien man who calls himself 'The Doctor' has a spaceship/time machine that can travel anywhere in space or time. Along the way he picks up many companions to travel with him and keep him company. This sounds relatively simple but there are so many characters and aliens, details and stories that this explanation cant even begin to cover it. The show is so complex and huge that the only way to really understand it is to watch it yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Old as I am, I've never seen it! And if it weren't for students writing about it, I would not have even heard of it. So, if you were telling an ignoramus like me about Dr. Who, what would you tell me that might, just might, persuade me to watch it myself? The key is persuasion--what do you do to win over your audience?

    ReplyDelete