Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What do you hear? prompt one

The clicking of keys on the keyboards surrounds the room. The fan is humming, blowing air into the room to cool it down. There are voices talking back and forth, discussing assignments and how to make a blog. The door clicks as it opens and bangs when it closes. Restless students move their chairs around the room, wheels squeaking. There are noises coming from the room next to this one, chairs without wheels scrapping across tile floors. The voice in my head reading this as I write it to make sure it sounds okay. Listening closer I hear the ringing in my ears. It’s always there, never stopping, since I was nineteen, I’m twenty two now. Tinnitus, it runs in the family, my dad and grandfather both have it too. No matter how quiet a room is, the ringing is always there, it’s never silent for me. I’ve forgotten what silence sounds like.

1 comment:

  1. Starting with the immediate, moving on to what an observer would not know or hear--that's a classic writer's move. For my money, I think this stops one sentence short; there's one more card to be played, though I couldn't tell you what it is, but this reads as stopped more than as finished, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete