Wednesday, January 16, 2013

How did you get here? prompt 3

Samantha Nasberg
How did you get here?

            After eating lunch at home I convinced myself to get off the internet and climb into my car. Setting my iPod to one of my new favorite songs I put the car in reverse and backed out of the driveway and headed to EMCC. Originally I had been going to school at the University of Maine in Orono. After a year and a half attending classes there I dropped out and took a semester off. The classes were too large for me at UMaine and I could not concentrate in them. My mind would drift off to faraway lands of books and television. I would get distracted by other things, what should I read next? Which episode am I on of that TV show I’ve been obsessing over? Do I work tonight? This caused my grades to drop and me to have horrible anxiety attacks. After a semester off I took a computer class at EMCC and found that the smaller classes made it easier for me to pay attention to and the instructor had more time to interact with the students individually. After that computer class I began to take more and more classes at the school, including writing, history, and Korean, things that actually interested me, not pointless classes I could care less about. One year ago I enrolled in the school full time in order to finish a degree in liberal studies, finishing what I had started at UMaine back in 2008. After I complete five more classes, including this one, I will achieve my goal of getting a college degree and that is how I ended up in my car, driving to this school, in this room, writing this piece.

1 comment:

  1. I like the long and detailed lead-up to the punchline in the last sentence. I didn't see that coming (even though it's right in the title!)

    ReplyDelete