Saturday, January 26, 2013

prompt 8

The first book I read all on my own as a kid was Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss. This was the first book I read all the way through with no help from a grownup. Since then I have read hundreds of other books. Longer, more detailed, more complex books from How to Eat Fried Worms to Harry Potter to The Lord of The Rings. The books I read in later life had more issues and story behind them that were much better and more entertaining than Green Eggs and Ham. I read fantasy and drama, Shakespeare and Arthur Conan Doyle, science fiction and non-fiction. All of these books could be considered better than Green Eggs and Ham. But Green Eggs and Ham was my first, the book I read all on my own, and it will always be one of my favorite books.

1 comment:

  1. Well, keep GE & H in mind because, try as I might at a remove of 60 years, I cannot for the life of me remember the first book I ever read completely on my own. I do remember the children's librarian at school reading Dr Seuss to us as first or second graders, back when the books weren't classics but brand-new releases!

    ReplyDelete